Our next meeting is November 1st at the Wilson Agriculture Center. Refreshments are at 6:30 with the meeting starting at 7:00. If you are able, please bring a snack to share. We will be having door prizes. Please donate items, they do not have to be bee related. Don’t forget we are still selling raffle tickets for a nuc and the drawing will be at the end of the meeting.
A few items on the agenda:
- The beekeeper school in March
- Fundraising and donations for hives and equipment, location of club apiary
- Mentor and mentee volunteers
- Elections of officers and executive committee members for 2019
- December 6th meeting – we will be having a potluck Christmas party, an email will be sent soon for everyone to sign up for what they are bringing
We will have a program on pollinator gardens.
Please be sure to check the sign in table for chances to volunteer for various duties and opportunities! Any thoughts, suggestions or questions - please share with the members or reach out to one of the officers at any time.
Our website is up and running! Go to wilsonbeekeepers.org and check it out!
Please like the Facebook page – Wilson County Beekeepers Association – if you haven’t already. Feel free to share your experiences on the page.
See you on Thursday!
Call to order
- President Bruce Petway called to order the regular meeting of the Wilson County Beekeepers Association at 7:00 on November 1, 2018.
- Financial report: $754.71
- Club website – wilsonbeekeepers.org. Magnus Ullberg asked everyone to please send him photos and info to be added. Has a google number that will have a voicemail so people can call. Emails will go to the executive committee.
- Carl Pennington spoke with Randall Barnes of Wilson Farm Bureau, asked for donation to fund a hive (up to $450), Mr. Barnes suggested we have a presentation at their January meeting with a list of what is needed and costs.
- Nominating committee member Elizabeth Bunn presented the slate of officers for next year. The current slate of officers will accept the invitation to remain officers for 2019.
- Bruce Petway - President
- Carl Pennington – Vice President
- Bobbie Butts - Secretary
- Andrea Ullberg – Treasurer
- Executive Committee
- Greg Wolgemuth comes off
- Robert Wells moves to the 2 year term
- Michael Lancaster has been nominated to replace Kelly Lancaster
- Alan Bunn nominated for the 3 year term.
- There were no other nominations. Dale Trump made a motion to accept these nominations. The motion was seconded by Magnus Ullberg. All were in favor. There were no opposing votes.
- Kelly Lancaster had a sample t-shirt from another club. Good quality shirt for less than $5.00. Others are to check on screen printing costs. Committee members are: Kelly Lancaster, Bobbie Buts, Elizabeth Bunn and Stan Temple
- Andrea and Magnus Ullberg attended Bug Fest in Raleigh
- Tommy Batts, Greg Wolgemuth and Andrea and Magnus Ullberg gave a presentation to a group of local 4-H students.
- Bee school in March – need to advertise. Have great speakers lined up to teach the one day class. $50 includes the yearly club dues.
- Club Apiary plans – Bruce Petway secured a location on Highway 117 near Black Creek, town well site, nice area with a cable. Bruce, Greg Wolgemuth and Magnus Ullberg are the aviary committee. Would like four hives. Fundraising committee working on donations for equipment. Anyone can get donations. A form will be printed to hand out. Would like to have equipment put together and ready before bee school and members can install packages after bee school.
- Fundraising – dues, t-shirts, bee school and donations
- Nuc drawing was held – winner Dale Trump
- Monthly hive time – Should have treated for mites by now, if not you need to check and treat, be sure they have plenty of stores feed if necessary, most of your bees should be in the bottom deep
- Vivian Lamm gave a presentation on pollinator plants
- Next meeting is December 6. We will have a Christmas party with a potluck dinner. Look for an email to sign up to bring something!
- President Bruce Petway adjourned the meeting.
- Minutes submitted by: Secretary Bobbie Butts