Our next meeting is July 5th at the Wilson Agriculture Center. Refreshments are at 6:30 with the meeting starting at 7:00. If you are able, please bring a snack to share. We will be having door prizes. Please donate items, they do not have to be bee related.
Rebekah Batts is our Program Director. Program will be on heat related emergencies and bee stings.
Our executive committee had its first meeting on June 18th. Here are a few of the topics that were discussed:
- By-laws and Constitution were signed and will be sent to the State
- Website, Facebook page and club logo design
- Mentorship program, Swarm call and Cutout sign ups
- Possible beekeepers school during the winter
- Monthly session to discuss what to look for in a hive
- Raffle and door prizes
- County Fair in September
- Fundraising Committee
Thank you to everyone for the efforts you are putting forth to get this club going! We have a very fun future ahead! Please be sure to check the sign in table for chances to volunteer for various duties and opportunities! Any thoughts, suggestions or questions - please share with the members or reach out to one of the officers at any time.
Please like the Facebook page – Wilson County Beekeepers Association – if you haven’t already. Feel free to share your experiences on the page.
See you on Thursday!
Call to order
- President Bruce Petway called to order the regular meeting of the Wilson County Beekeepers Association at 7:00 P.M. on July 5, 2018.
- By-laws and other information is ready to be sent to the state for our chapter to be approved. Will be emailed tonight. After we receive our confirmation on our club, need community recognition – article and photos in the newspaper, info on website and Facebook page.
- Update on membership – 42 members after the June meeting, 1 joined tonight.
- Magnus Ullberg will be helping create a website. We do have a Facebook page – but need for all members to be able to post, Tommy will fix this.
- Signup sheets at the door for mentor/mentees, swarm call/cutouts and for interest in a basic beekeeping course.
- Raffle tickets for a nuc to be given away at our October meeting are now available for $2.00 each.
- Tommy Batts has designed a logo for our club. Presented it to the members. Carl Pennington made a motion we accept this logo. Motion was seconded by John Joyner. All were in favor.
- Need a fundraising committee.
- Passed out a questionnaire for all members to fill out, about your beekeeping experience and interest, etc.
- Executive Committee members will receive a membership list.
- Local county fair is in September if anyone is interested in participating.
- Wilson County EMS presented a program on bee stings, allergies and heat exhaustion and heat stroke, what to look for and how to treat.
- Bruce Petway discussed what to look for in your hives, talked about treating for mites. Will have a demonstration at the August meeting.
- President Bruce Petway adjourned the meeting at 8:15 P.M.
- Minutes submitted by: Secretary Bobbie Butts